Survey results show rush to mobile platforms, with iPad, iPhone and Android as top three platform picks
London. – Oct. 14, 2010 – [url=http://pro.yudu.com/]Digital publishing vendor [/url]YUDU Media announced today the results of a new survey on how organizations’ use of digital publishing is changing. Overall, the [url=http://www.yudupro.com/survey-results]survey results[/url] show a rush to mobile platforms, with two out of three planning to develop [url=http://pro.yudu.com/ipad-solution.php]digital publications for the iPad[/url]. Other specific findings include:
– The number of users publishing digital-only magazines (versus a digital version of an existing print magazine) will jump 44 percent in the next 12 months.
– The number creating eBooks using digital publishing will increase by 60 percent in the next 12 months.
– The number planning to create digital publications for mobile platforms will grow significantly over the next 12 months:
– iPhone: from 12.1 percent today to 47.7 percent in 12 months (near 4x increase)
– iPad: from 15.5 to 56.9 percent (near 4x increase)
– Of those not currently developing digital publications for the iPad, almost 50 percent plan to within 12 months.
– Of those with no plans to develop digital publications for the iPad, their number one reason is, “no demand from readers.”
– 85.6 percent believe the iPad will have a positive impact on demand for digital magazines and eBooks.
“We weren’t surprised that so many digital publishers were interested in mobile platforms, but we were surprised at the speed with which they plan to deploy editions for those platforms,” said Richard Stephenson, CEO of YUDU Media. “The number planning digital editions for the iPad, for example, outpaces even the number planning [url=http://pro.yudu.com/ipad-solution.php]editions for the iPhone[/url], even though at the time of the survey the iPad had only been on the market for four months. It seems that readers’ appetites for mobile content is more voracious than even we imagined.”
Stephenson noted, “The traditional model of creating [url=http://pro.yudu.com/]digital editions [/url]for the web based on print magazine files seems to be trending downward, in favor of a new era, where organizations create digital editions from scratch that are designed to be consumed online – whether that’s on a desktop computer, laptop, netbook, iPad or some other mobile device.”
The survey was conducted online from Aug 23-Sept 8, 2010. Participants were solicited by email and Web from YUDU Media’s existing customer base of YUDU Pro users. 173 participants completed the 9-question survey on their digital publishing practices and plans. Respondents represented a number of different industries, with Publishing being the most frequent (37 percent).
Download the Survey Executive Summary
For more detail on the survey results, download the executive summary, titled, “Digital Publishing Plans and Trends: A Rush to Mobile Platforms,” at www.yudupro.com/survey-results.