Microsoft has released yesterday a new firmware update for the two years old Surface Pro 3 (via Neowin). It’s not clear yet what this new firmware will bring to the hybrid tablet as the company has
yet to provide details on the official Surface Pro 3 update history page. Earlier this week, we reported that Microsoft has acknowledged that some Surface Pro 3 models with SIMPLO batteries were affected by battery capacity issues, and the company said that it was “working quickly” on a fix.
Update: here is the changelog for the July 2016 Surface Pro 3 firmware update:
System Firmware Update – 7/21/2016
Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware
- v3.9.850.0 increases battery life during sleep mode and improves keyboard stability.
Surface Pro UEFI
- v3.11.1450.0 improves system sleep and hibernation behavior when battery level is low.
Surface Fingerprint Sensor
- v22.214.171.124 increases finger print touch stability coming out of sleep.
Surface Pen Settings
- v11.0.311.0 enhances pen setting driver stability.
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. driver update for Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
- v126.96.36.19942 improves the audio quality for the JAWS
To install the new firmware, you must open Windows Update and check for new updates. Once the 25.9MB download is completed, click on “Install and Restart” to initiate the installation process.
If you install the new firmware on your Surface Pro 3, let us know in the comments if you feel your device performs better with it. We’ll update the article if Microsoft provides more detail about the new firmare.Further reading: firmware update, Microsoft, Surface, Surface Pro 3