Speculations continue to swirl about regarding the possible appearance of a Surface line refresh later this year; meanwhile, Microsoft is hard at work on polishing the experience on current Surface devices.
Spotted on a Microsoft Surface subreddit page is a posting from Redditor drbugsm, that a new set of firmware updates are rolling out to Surface devices intended to address sound driver issues and improve touch drives among other items.
- Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Touch
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Touch Servicing ML
- Intel(R) Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED
- Intel(R) Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Button
Confirming drbugsm claims, it is apparent that the update is landing on devices regardless of Windows 10 Insider involvement.
Once the firmware has been downloaded and installed, users will need to restart their machines to apply them. Once applied, users should notice an uptick in touch recognition among pen and finger input through the OS as well as a more fluid audio experience, devoid of crackling and chipped sound coming from their devices.
While it has taken Microsoft over nine months to deliver and arguably sound computing experience for owners of new Surface hardware, many still appreciate the company’s continued work at making a Surface purchase, a worthwhile experience.
Surface owners should head over to the Update settings menu to start downloading the new firmware today.