If you purchased a brand new Surface Book on October 26th, head over to the Settings app in Windows 10 and check for updates. Microsoft has rolled out a firmware update (dated October 23rd), which not only adds Windows Hello support, but also display and storage performance improvements.
Here’s the official change log on the matter:
- Surface Camera drivers set (v30.10154.6640.152) enables the Windows Hello feature.
- Control Logic driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- CSI2 Host Controller driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Imaging Signal Processor 2500 driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Microsoft Camera Front driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Microsoft Camera Rear driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Microsoft IR Camera Front driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Surface Camera Windows Hello driver (v184.108.40.206)
- AVStream Camera 2500 driver (v30.10154.6640.152)
- Surface Display Calibration driver (v1.1.371.0) improves the overall display stability.
- Surface Integration driver (v1.1.263.0) improves storage performance.
- Surface Storage Firmware Update driver (v1.447.0) improves storage performance.
These updates are delivered in stages, so not all Surface Book owners will be receiving this update right away. Microsoft plans to roll out this firmware update to all Surface Book owners. Head over to Windows Update to snag these improvements. Let us know in the comments below if you notice any performance issues as a result of this update.Further reading: Microsoft, Surface Book