Starting today, the Spotify Family Plan now allows up to six individual Spotify Premium accounts for only $14.99 a month. The Spotify Family Plan still includes separate Premium accounts, personal music recommendations, playlists, and offline listening. It is likely that Spotify has lowered their Family Plan price to $14.99 a month in an effort to better compete with Apple Music and Google Play Music.
Premium for Family is now $14.99 for 6 accounts! Your family can enjoy Britney, Bach and Bon Jovi at the same time. https://t.co/PvzBoeGbYg
— Spotify (@Spotify) May 23, 2016
Here’s a look at the new and upgraded Spotify Family Plan:
- Separate accounts: Everyone gets their own account with their own playlists, saved music and personal recommendations.
- Premium for everyone: Everyone on the plan gets the full Spotify Premium experience. Listen offline to more than 30 million songs. Play any song, anytime, on any device. No restrictions. No ads.
- Better pricing: Music at your fingertips has never been cheaper for up to 6 people — all collected on a single bill.
Spotify’s new Family Plan is available to all users, except for those in Canada. By comparison, Microsoft’s Groove Music offers a $9.99 a month plan that allows users:
- 40 Million song catalog
- Listen offline
- Artist-based radio
- Create or listen to playlists to suit any mood
- Works on Windows and Mac PC, tablet, Xbox, the web, Windows phones, Android, iOS, and SONOS
While Groove Music’s monthly plan only offers one account for $9.99 a month, there is ample support for Windows 10 and Windows phones. At this time, there is no Spotify Windows 10 Universal app, just a Spotify desktop app and separate Spotify app for Windows 10 Mobile.
Groove Music is the only service at this time that does not allow a family plan at the moment. However, an added bonus of Groove Music is that you can watch music videos of songs on your Xbox console. Hopefully, Microsoft will take note of what its competitors are doing and introduce a family plan of its own with a little something extra to attract more users.