Today’s Xbox Briefing for Gamescom 2015 included an impressive lineup of games coming in 2016 to both the Xbox One and Windows 10 platforms (which will merge even more when Windows 10 comes to Xbox One in November). But unlike June’s E3 Xbox Briefing, the reveals this time weren’t just limited to gaming news. New entertainment features are also coming to Xbox, like full DVR capabilities for Over-the-Air TV and the completely redesigned experience for the console upgrades to Windows 10.
There was a great deal of news today so let’s break it down piece by piece.
Quite a few new titles, including some Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusives were announced today for 2016. Below is the 2016 lineup with the official game descriptions.
- Crackdown 3 (XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE). Stop crime as a superpowered Agent of justice in this hyper-powered sandbox of mayhem and destruction. Developed by original creator Dave Jones, Crackdown 3 delivers cooperative mayhem and an all-new multiplayer mode where destruction is your ultimate weapon, powered by the Microsoft Cloud. Multiplayer beta beginning in 2016.
- Dark Souls III. Known for delivering a high level of unrelenting challenge to gamers, the next chapter in the Dark Souls saga returns with Dark Souls III. Developer FromSoftware returns to create a new blighted world for players to explore. The embers of a once-proud kingdom set the stage for this new adventure. Players will battle against fearsome enemies and bosses with a variety of weapons and magic through a mysterious land riddled with secrets.
- Halo Wars 2 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). An exciting new strategy game packed with fast-paced action, massive battles and an all-new Halo story, Halo Wars 2 is coming to Xbox One and Windows 10 in fall 2016. Developed by Creative Assembly, a SEGA company and the creators of the popular Total War series, in partnership with 343 Industries, Halo Wars 2 is the sequel to the game that redefined real-time strategy on consoles.
- Homefront: The Revolution. Homefront: The Revolution is an open-world first-person shooter where you must lead the Resistance movement and wage guerrilla warfare against a superior military force to ignite the Revolution. The dynamic, evolving world responds to your actions as an oppressed nation rises in defiance against the occupation.
- Killer Instinct Season 3 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). Launching in March 2016 on Xbox One and Windows 10, Killer Instinct Season 3 announced at Gamescom and features eight new characters, including Rash from Battletoads. Killer Instinct and Rare Replayplayers can download and play a limited sneak peek of Rash on Xbox One starting Aug. 4.
- Quantum Break (XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE). From the makers of Max Payne and Alan Wake, Remedy Entertainment showcased new gameplay and footage of Quantum Break. The studio’s latest blockbuster game with time-amplified action and a suspenseful storyline brought to life in a way never done before in the gaming world. Quantum Break will be available on April 5, 2016.
- Scalebound (XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE). Unite with a fearsome, noble dragon in Scalebound, the next great adventure from critically-acclaimed developer PlatinumGames and renowned Game Director Hideki Kamiya. Available fall 2016.
There was also other game news beyond just the coming lineup of games, which included:
- Halo World Championship will return this fall with its biggest prize pool ever, $1 million.
- Players got a look at the new expansive hubs in Rise of the Tomb Raider set to release this November as a Xbox One timed exclusive.
- Forza Motorsort 6 will have four additional tracks as well as competitive multiplayer supporting up to 24 players on dedicated servers.
- FIFA 16’s new roster and features were detailed a little more.
- Just Cause 3 on Xbox One owners will receive Just Cause 2.
- Gamers who purchase Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege for Xbox One will receive both Rainbow Six Vegas and Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
- Minecraft Lead Developer Jens Bergensten announced a new indie title Cobalt, exclusively on Xbox 360 and Xbox One coming in October this year.
- [email protected] will be bringing more than 150 new titles coming in the next 12 months. The listing will include 30 independent games for Windows 10 and titles such as Worms WMD, Thimbleweed Park, Train Simulator, Ark: Survival Evolved, Sheltered, We Happy Few, Bloodstained.
Xbox also confirmed that Xbox One’s backward compatibility will launch this November with over 100 Xbox 360 titles, including games acquired with Games with Gold on Xbox 360.
Entertainment - Xbox One’s Over-the-Air DVR
This feature, launching sometime in 2016, will enable full DVR functionality for recording TV just like you would with a traditional DVR for cable and satellite TV. While the feature is limited to recording only Over-the-Air Broadcasts, it will include some exceptional features like:
- Stream recorded TV shows to other devices in your home and schedule recordings while on the go, either via the Xbox app on Windows 10 or through Xbox SmartGlass for iOS and Android.
- Add, review and edit your scheduled recordings from your Windows 10, iOS or Android PC, tablet or phone while you are away from home with ease.
- Download shows to your Windows 10 phone, PC or tablet so you can watch them on an airplane, on a bus – really anywhere – even without an internet connection.
Microsoft will also be selling two new bundles for the Xbox One, a 1TB Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition Bundle and FIFA 16 bundle. The FIFA 16 bundle will be available for both the Xbox One 1TB and 500GB options. The Xbox One Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition Bundle is available for pre-order now, with a shipping date of October 20th, for $499.99. The FIFA 16 bundle (which will also come with one-year of EA Access) is available for pre-order today for $399.99.
In addition to new Xbox One Limited Edition Halo 5: Guardians Wireless Controller and Xbox One Limited Edition Halo 5: Guardians “The Master Chief” Wireless Controller, Microsoft also announced the new Xbox Chatpad. The new Chatpad can be added to all Xbox One controllers to help you type quick messages with its mini keyboard and programmable buttons for features like Game DVR, screenshot captures, and apps. This Xbox Chatpad will be released this November for an estimated retail prices of $34.99.
Today was just the start of Gamescom 2015. And Xbox will be recapping their announcements during their Xbox Daily: LIVE @ Gamescom broadcasts this Wednesday and Thursday at Noon EST, 9:00 AM PST. Of course be sure to check back with WinBeta for the latest Xbox and Microsoft news as Gamescom continues.