Microsoft has released an update for PowerToys that comes with support for a new Awake tool, which prevents PCs from going to sleep. The PowerToys version 0.41.2 also includes a bunch of stability bug fixes, accessibility improvements, and more.
As the name suggests, the Awake tool gives users the ability to prevent their Windows 10 devices from entering sleep mode. It provides options to keep the PC awake for a specified period or indefinitely, during which the OS will not be allowed to enable the low-power state. Microsoft says that this feature is a convenient way for users to keep their screens awake on demand.
Here’s the full list of improvements and fixes in PowerToys version 0.41.2:
- Shortcut guide removed support for long
Winpress to activate. Now supports
Win + ?by default
- Turned off FancyZones canvas editor magnetic snapping to allow keyboard support
- Updated Color Picker GIF for OOBE. Thanks @niels9001!
- Removed outdated MSIX code
- Upgraded all projects to Modern WPF 0.94
- Dropped support for the module interface API to save settings
- Removed Winstore dependency
- Improved auto-update experience in PowerToys Settings
- Updated general bug report information to be more robust
- Improved settings layout for radio button groups. Updated images and menu for OOBE. Thanks @niels9001!
- Localization updates
- New Awake utility added! Power-Users can now keep their computer awake on-demand without having to manage its power settings. Huge thank you to @dend
- Improvements to Color Picker’s zoom functionality. Thanks @DoctorNefario
- Prevent duplicate colors from appearing in selection history
- Improved UX to better support keyboard navigation. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed OOBE hotkey description. Thanks @coc0a
- Full keyboard support for canvas editor's main window and context. Thanks @niels9001
- New support for faster layout selection by double clicking a desired layout from the editor to automatically apply it and dismiss the editor.
- New zone activation behavior allows users to snap a window to the zone who's center is closest to the cursor. Thanks @ulazy1!
- Added process icon for FancyZones.
- Fixed issue with zoning minimized windows.
- Fixed a bunch of accessibility bugs
- Now an independent exe, detached from the runner process.
File Explorer Add-Ons
- Adjusted Markdown newline behavior to be less strict so the add-on behaves more like GitHub implementations
- Fixed bug with custom size option where leaving a height/width value blank caused the output to be a 1 x 1 square pixel. Now the blank value automatically adjusts to the height/width that was set.
- Fixed bug where specifying a width but no height generated a 1x1 px image instead of auto-adjusting the height. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed File Explorer crash when running PowerRename
- Multiple crashing bugs resolved.
- New Unit Converter plugin! Activate in the query prompt with the default activation phrase
%% 10 ft in m. Thanks @jsoref and @ThiefZero!
- New Windows Settings plugin! Search for specific Windows settings from PowerToys Run by utilizing the default activation phrase
$followed by the desired setting. Ex:
$ Add/Remove Programsor
$ Device:. Thanks @TobiasSekan and @htcfreek.
- Updated the URL plugin to enable quickly launching the default browser with the action keyword, which defaults to
- Added remainder/modulo support for Calculator plugin via
- Faster launching from improved Win32 program indexing. Thanks @royvou!
- Search text results now highlight matched characters from input. Thanks @niels9001!
Settings / Welcome to PowerToys
- Fixed Color Picker’s key-binding information
- Customize key-binding from settings menu
- Took Shortcut guide out of the runner process to remove unnecessary interdependencies
- Updated .NET Core dependency to 3.1.15
- Reduced the network traffic by making the updater not download files when they're already cached
Just a couple of hours after this release, the PowerToys team has also released a maintenance update to address an issue where PowerToys was being incorrectly flagged as a malicious program by Bitdefender. Microsoft has advised users to install version 0.41.3 to resolve this problem.
Those interested in installing the latest PowerToys update can now head to the official release page on GitHub to download the tool. Additionally, you can also manually update the app by clicking the "Check for updates" option available on the General section.