The suite of tools helps organizations easily analyze their data and share insights. So it is important to bring that data and insight to peoples' fingertips not just in the office but in the field where it can be quickly acted upon. Microsoft announced today that the June update for Power BI's mobile apps will make the most out of your phone's capabilities. The new features use your phone's camera and geographic location to help provide more contextually relevant information through Power BI.
Power BI's June update for its mobile apps add the following new features:
- Geographic filtering lets you focus on data relevant to your location (iOS) - filter reports with geographical data by your current location with just one tap.
- QR for tiles now become Augmented Reality tile (iOS) - Now when you scan a QR code that was generated using the Power BI service, the tile will render in AR mode. With AR, you can stay in the context of the real world, and get your data in a virtual overlay.
- Use Barcodes to filter your data - With the Power BI scanner for iOS, you can now scan barcodes printed on products or shelves at your store. This will display related reports filtered by the scanned value.
- New Power BI notification center also on mobile - The notification center has also now debuted in the most recent version of our apps for Android and Windows 10 Mobile, and we've improved the notification center for iOS by including all possible alerts, from data details to shared dashboard notifications. Never miss an important update again! Learn more about Power BI notification center.
- Access your favorite dashboards from your mobile device (iOS) - You can now quickly access your favorite dashboards from your mobile device, as you do with a desktop or laptop computer.
- SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services - We've made some improvements across all apps to make data refresh more efficiently to reduce the load on your device. On the Power BI Mobile app for Windows 10 we added the ability to drill through from a KPI to mobile report, or to any custom URL. Meanwhile, the Android app includes several bug fixes, including fixing the currency symbol for SQL Server Reporting Services KPIs.
- Improved slicers on mobile devices - In this release we have resolved some bugs reported by you, and also applied selection control to mobile reports. You can control the selection mode of the slicer when editing on Power BI Desktop, and this will automatically impact the way slicers work on mobile. Choose between Single selection to allow one slicer at a time, or select Select All to allow the selection of multiple slicer values.
- Additional bug fixes and improvements - The Windows app contains several fixes that significantly improves its performance and stability. On The Android app, we fixed accessing dashboards that are shared with you via email invitation.
It looks like iOS got the most attention with the addition of new features like augmented reality reports and geographic filtering. But Android and Windows 10 Mobile also gained improvements over more traditional reporting features and bug fixes.
If you use Power BI Mobile and want to have a say in what new features come next, head over to the Power BI Ideas forum to make your voice heard.
And if you yet to try Power BI Mobile, you can download the mobile apps from the boxes below.