Earlier this week, Plex announced that its Live TV feature would be unlocked for free for all users until June 30th to assist those that are staying home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This feature allows users to view over-the-air broadcasts through their Plex apps and usually requires a paid upgrade to activate.
Here’s the official list of notes about the service for those interesting in trying it for the first time during this period:
- As usual, you’ll need a compatible tuner and antenna 3.0k connected to your Plex Media Server, so that you can receive the over-the-air broadcasts.
- This does not include DVR. The ability to view Live TV with your setup will be free during this period, but DVR and other premium functionality do continue to require an active Plex Pass subscription.
- The free Live TV functionality will include 48 hours of guide data. (Plex Pass subscribers will continue enjoying the normal ~2 weeks of guide data.)
- As noted earlier, we’re committed to making the Live TV functionality available for free for 90 days.
- You’ll need to make sure that you’re running Plex Media Server version 1.18.9 or newer. See our Downloads page 726.
The company has also made a rather extensive blog post about the other ways Plex can be of assistance during this time. Check it out here.
Are you a Plex user and will you be taking advantage of this free period or do you prefer to use another service to consume media? Let us know in the comments below and then follow us on Pinterest and YouTube for more tech news.