NPD: Playstation 4 outsells Xbox One for the fifth consecutive month
The console wars have become fierce, but it seems Sony’s gaming console, the PlayStation 4 is still leading the charts, outselling Xbox One for the fifth consecutive month in the US. It’s not just the hardware sales, PS4 sold the most software in the US as well, compared to other consoles. Compared to last year, the hardware sales climbed by 95 percent to $187 million, while the software sales rose by 57 percent to $284 million. The total industry sales hiked to $586 million, a rise of 42 percent on a year-to-year basis.
“Collectively, May 2014 launches sold 800 percent more in dollar sales than May 2013 launches did their respective launch months. New launches represented 50 percent of dollar sales this month, which compared to only 9 percent for new launches in May 2013,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan. Callahan also said that PS Vita and Wii U has also seen year-over-year growth, but the main growth in May was due to Xbox One and Playstation 4.
Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs was the top-selling game for all consoles. followed by Wii U Mario Kart and MLB 14: The Show available on PS3, PS4 and Vita. Here’s a list of the top ten games:
- Watch Dogs – Ubisoft (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Mario Kart – Nintendo (Wii U)
- MLB 14: The Show (PS3, PS4, Vita)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order – Bethesda (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Minecraft – Microsoft/Sony (PS3, Xbox 360)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3DS, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- NBA 2K14 – 2K (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Titanfall – EA(PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Kirby Triple Deluxe – Nintendo (3DS)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)