As you know, Windows 8.1 has been out for quite a while now, and one feature that is very impressive, is the ability to pin sites on your Start Screen and see the latest news on a Live tile. WinBeta.org was one of the first sites to utilize this feature, but for those of you who did not know, here is how you can achieve having our news displayed in a Live tile on your Start Screen.
As you can see from the image above, this feature lets you can stay up-to-date with the latest coverage that WinBeta has to offer. The Live tile can be adjusted to the four sizes, small, medium, large, or wide. Looks nice right? You’re in good hands, because we’re going to show how to do it, right here, right now.
Alright, here are the steps to do it:
- 1. Make sure you have Windows 8.1 as your current operating system
- 2. Make sure you have Internet Explorer 11 set as your default browser (you can change it to any other browser after the tutorial because this only works with Internet Explorer 11)
- 3. Launch Internet Explorer in Metro mode
- 4. Once it’s opened, in the address bar, go to www.winbeta.org
- 5. At the bottom right corner, there is a star icon, click it
- 6. Now just hit the pin button
- 7. You can change the title and the size of the live tile (if you’ve changed your mind, you can change the live tile size later)
- 8. Now, just click on the “Pin to Start” button
There you have it! You now have WinBeta.org pinned on your Start Screen. You now have a shortcut to visit our site and you can also see the latest news on the Live tile, what a killer deal! This is a great alternative to our Windows 8.1 app.
Keep in mind, since Windows has a specific time interval to update live tiles, you will see the latest news updated every 30 minutes. Now go have fun setting up the Live tile!
On the side note, if you have your own site, you can set up your own ive tile for your site via this link. Just a heads up, to add the feature where your readers can view your content from the live tile, you will need your RSS feed URL ready.Further reading: WinBeta, Windows 8.1