Nokia unveils cheaper 6-inch Lumia 1320, new Nokia apps and ‘Black’ update
During Nokia World 2013 today, Nokia unveiled a lower cost Lumia 1320 Windows Phone device, along with some new Nokia apps and a new software update for Lumia handsets. Nokia also revealed the Lumia 1520 Windows Phone device along with the Lumia 2520 Windows RT 8.1 device.
The Lumia 1320 is a lower-cost sibling of the Lumia 1520 and features a 6-inch 720p screen, a 5MP camera, dual-core processor, and 8GB of internal storage which can be expanded to 64GB. The device comes in orange, yellow, white, and black and is expected to roll out in early 2014 to China and Vietnam, followed by other Asian markets, India and Europe. Pricing starts at $339 USD before taxes. The device also comes with Nokia’s HERE suite and other Nokia apps. Here are the full specs:
- Operating System: Windows Phone 8 with the latest updates
- Networks: LTE-ROW: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA 850, 900, 2100 MHz; LTE 800, 1800, 2600; LTE-LTA: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz; LTE 700, 850, 1700, 1900 MHz; HSPA+: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA/HSPA + 900, 2100 MHz.
- Speed: LTE:3, 7, 20 bands – 100/50 Mbps (cat 3); DC-HSPA ROW: 42/5.76Mbps (cat 24 DL/Cat6 UL); HSPA+ CHINA: 21/5.76Mbps (Cat 14DL/Cat6 UL); GSM: EGPRS 236.8Kps
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 8GB internal user memory; 7GB SkyDrive cloud storage, micro SD card support up to 64GB
- Display: 6-inch HD LCD IPS (1280×720), Super sensitive touch support for glove and long nail use; Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: 1.7GHz Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
- Primary camera: 5MP Auto Focus, flash. Video 1080p @ 30fps
- Secondary Camera: 0.3MP VGA.
- Size & weight: 164.25 x 85.9 x 9.79* mm (*volumetric). Weight: 220g
- Connectivity: BT 4.0 + LE, Micro-USB 2.0, 3.5mm AHJ, WIFI 802.11(2.4GHz b/g/n)
- Battery: 3400 mAh (integrated)
- Audio: 1 HAAC mic; 3.5mm AV connector, HD Voice; FM Radio
“On the software front, the Lumia 1520 and 1320 will come with a bunch of great new apps and features—many of which will be rolling out to existing phones in the form of new update Nokia is calling Lumia Black. The update, which includes latest version of Windows Phone 8 operating system, is expected begin rolling out to Nokia Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8 in early 2014,” Nokia explained regarding the upcoming Nokia Black update.
Nokia is also combining the Nokia Pro Camera and Nokia Smart Camera into one app called Nokia Camera. “Nokia Camera, as it’s called, makes it easier to switch between camera modes faster and choose the best settings for your pictures. The app’s Pro Mode lets you tweak settings like shutter speed and white balance and preview changes in real-time. While Smart Mode lets you animate still images to create a sense of movement. Switch to the video mode to shoot full HD movies,” Nokia explained.
The Nokia Storyteller app adds location information to your pictures, plots a chronological picture journey on a map, and much more. “The app automatically integrates your phone pictures with location information, the plots this chronological picture journey on a map. Zoom out of the picture to see more, like points of interest tagged to the map and driving directions to the place. When viewing the images on the map, your memories truly come alive with auto play back of video, animated pictures like Cinemagraphs, with or a burst of images taken with the Smart mode,” Nokia adds.
Nokia Beamer allows you to project your phone screen to any HTML5 enabled screen, along with the ability to beam your screen to someone far away via a link by email, SMS, or social media. “Documents, maps, locations details, or even your camera viewfinder will be shown as you can see it, live and real,” Nokia adds.
Nokia has also updated the Glance screen to see notifications on missed calls and new emails on the standby screen. This allows you to see more without unlocking the phone. No word on when these apps will be available.Further reading: Microsoft, Nokia, Windows Phone