Microsoft’s Surface Laptop 3 is getting a new set of firmware updates this week. These bits are rolling out for devices sporting Intel processors.
For the owners of a Surface Laptop 3, the March 2021 firmware updates bring a range of improvements to audio performance, battery life, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi reliability. There are also some enhancements for Cortana voice activation, which should make the overall experience better. You can see the full changelog below:
- Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller - System devices: Improves audio performance and battery life.
- Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED - System devices: Improves audio performance and battery life.
- Intel(R) WiFi 6 AX201 160MHz - Network adapters: Improves Wi-Fi reliability and stability.
- Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth - Bluetooth: Improves Bluetooth reliability and stability.
- Realtek Hardware Support Application - Software components: Improves audio performance and device stability.
- Realtek Device Extension - Extn: Improves integration between system services.
- Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) - Sound, video, and game controllers: Improves audio performance and device stability.
- Detection Verification - System devices: Improves Cortana voice activation scenarios.
- Surface Trusted Platform Module 2.0 - Security devices: Addresses security updates and improves system stability.
As usual, these updates will be delivered gradually to all users via Windows Update, so you may or may not see them right now. If you have an AMD variant of the Surface Laptop 3, the latest set of updates was released last month, and it fixed performance and stability issues with that particular model.