Microsoft has released today new optional patches for Windows 10 version 21H1 and older versions of the OS. If you’re running the Windows 10 version 21H1, 20H2, or 2004, the same KB5004296 patch is available to download from Windows Update, with several fixes for issues affecting gaming services, VPNs, and printing.
The July 2021 monthly preview "C" release is now available for Windows 10, version 21H1 and all supported versions of Windows. https://t.co/1IcwVvzBQo
— Windows Update (@WindowsUpdate) July 29, 2021
Here are the main improvements Microsoft highlighted in the release notes for this KB5004296 optional patch:
- Updates an issue that prevents gaming services from opening certain games for desktop users.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from entering text using the Input Method Editor (IME). This might occur, for example, after startup if you have set the power options to shut down a laptop by closing its lid.
- Updates an issue that plays the sound for selecting something in a game loudly when you press the trigger button on a game controller.
- Updates an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected. This results in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming.
- Updates an issue that fails to detect that you are connected to the internet after you connect to a virtual private network (VPN).
- Updates an issue that causes printing to stop or prints the wrong output. This issue occurs when you print using a USB connection after updating to Windows 10, version 2004 or later.
As usual, this patch can be downloaded from the Optional Updates section of Windows Update. However, those of you who prefer to skip this optional patch will still get all these fixes when installing next month's "Patch Tuesday" update.