Microsoft has released a new optional patch for Windows 10 versions 21H1, 20H2, and 2004 today. The same KB5003690 update is available for all three versions of the OS, and Microsoft previously made this patch available for Windows Insiders in the Beta and Release Preview channels last week.
The June 2021 monthly "C" release preview updates are now available for all supported versions of Windows 10, including Windows 10, version 21H1, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows 10, version 2004. https://t.co/LKSGJ54Fuf
— Windows Update (@WindowsUpdate) June 21, 2021
The KB5003690 addresses some performance issues that some gamers have encountered after installing a previous update, and there are also fixes for Windows Mixed Reality, the news and interests taskbar widget, and more. Here’s what Microsoft highlighted in the release notes:
- Updates an issue in a small subset of users that have lower than expected performance in games after installing KB5000842 or later.
- Updates an issue that causes the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to suddenly stop working while you are typing.
- Updates an issue in which signing in using a PIN fails. The error message is "Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again."
- Updates an issue that, in certain cases, takes you out of the exclusive virtual reality (VR) app and back to Windows Mixed Reality Home when you press the Windows button on the controller.
- Updates an issue that causes blurry text on the news and interests button on the Windows taskbar for some screen resolutions.
- Updates an issue with Search box graphics on the Windows taskbar that occurs if you right-click the taskbar and turn off News and interests. This graphics issue is especially visible when using dark mode.
- Updates an issue that might prevent you from using your fingerprint to sign in after startup or waking up your device from sleep.
Be aware that this KB5003690 update does have some minor known issues that you can check out on this page. As usual, though, those of you who prefer to skip this optional update will still receive all these fixes and improvements with next month's Patch Tuesday update.