Microsoft just pushed out build 81.0.416.3 for Edge Insiders in the Dev Channel. This latest update is a bit smaller in scope, and it will be the last build for version 81. It will also soon move to the Beta channel. There's not much changed in this release, asides from some enhancements for the PDF reader.
We'll start first with the added features in this release. Microsoft has added a blue color to the account button in InPrivate windows, based on user feedback. Also new is an ability to highlight text in PDFs and support for web-optimized PDFs that download one page at a time as they’re viewed. Other new features are below:
- Added a tool on the Favorites management page to remove duplicate favorites.
- Enabled Collections sync for all channels that currently have Collections available.
- Added a feature to Immersive Reader to focus on only one or a few lines at a time.
- Added a dialog to inform users when an extension is disabled because it has the ability to change settings (new tab page, search provider, etc.)
- Added a message when a user tries to use IE mode and Internet Explorer isn’t installed.
- Added support for syncing the “Sign in automatically” setting under edge://settings/passwords.
- Added an option in edge://settings/profiles/multiProfileSettings to choose a default profile to use when opening links in external applications.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Top Sites from another browser.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Extensions from another browser.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Cookies from another browser.
- Added a page to Settings to help users download Edge mobile.
Now, for the improvements, Microsoft has fixed the issue where saving a PDF would sometimes crash the tab. They've also fixed issues where watching encrypted video from sites like Netflix sometimes causes the device to freeze. There are also some changed behaviors too, which we've included below. We remind you to check the full list here.
- Fixed an issue where the Jumplist is missing or has incorrect entries.
- Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to start Read Aloud isn’t shown in menus.
- Fixed an issue where changing settings on the New Tab Page sometimes results in the settings not getting applied to subsequent new tabs until the browser is restarted.
- Fixed an issue where IE mode can’t be used and gives a message that Internet Explorer isn’t installed even though it is.
- Fixed an issue where a message that a new Edge window can’t be opened because Edge is currently running with administrator privileges is unexpectedly seen.
- Fixed an issue where dropping an extension file or folder onto the Extensions page when Developer Mode is enabled doesn’t install the extension.
- Fixed an issue where the UI to switch profiles when opening a link has invisible text in Dark Theme.
- Fixed an issue where some images weren’t loading in Immersive Reader.
Finally, there are known issues. Users might still be seeing duplicate favorites, and might not see the dialog to install a website as an app. Other known issues range from certain users of security software seeing all tabs fail to load, or tabs becoming blank. The issue where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge also still persists in this build.