Hot on the heels of the last Insider build, released Friday, Microsoft has just dropped another new Windows Insider build, this one 17744, for the RS5 Fast Ring. The last of the “Redstone” releases, RS5 development is rapidly coming to a close, and now carries an “1809” moniker (meaning September 2018, although if past performance holds, it may not be actually released until early October). This latest build doesn’t carry with it any new features or surprises, but does fix a number of issues:
- We fixed an issue that resulted in certain apps crashing when sending Timeline activities.
- We fixed an impactful race condition in recent flights resulting in Cortana crashing when launching tips and doing web searches.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the nearby sharing section of the Share UI not being visible for some users despite being enabled.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the contents of the Microsoft Edge window becoming offset from its window frame.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the spellchecking menu appearing in the wrong place when you right-clicked on a misspelled word in Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue for Insiders using Windows 10 in S Mode recently resulting opening Word from a Word Online document not working.
- We fixed an issue in Narrator so when toggling a checkbox with a braille display and Narrator, the displayed state is now updated and the control information is maintained on the display.
Along with the fixes, there’s still apparently some work to be done, as this latest build does still include a list of known issues:
- You may experience a bugcheck (GSOD) when logging out of your user profile or shutting down your PC.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
- After setting up a Windows Mixed Reality headset for the first time on this build with motion controllers, the controllers may need to be re-paired a second time before appearing in the headset.
As usual, get to downloading, and enjoy the last leg of our Redstone journey!Further reading: build 17744, Fast Ring, Windows 10, Windows Insider