Minecraft Update Aquatic Phase Two rolling out today
Microsoft announced today that Update Aquatic Phase Two is now rolling out to all Minecraft Java Edition and Bedrock Engine platforms. The update brings new forms of ocean life to the game, a new weapon, and many more Minecraft firsts. This update also marks the first time where the Java and Bedrock teams worked side-by-side to co-develop a fully featured update to both versions of the game.
Players on Windows 10, VR, mobile devices, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch should be seeing this update now, as well as Java players who are on pre-release. According to the Minecraft team, the update includes over 3,000 different types of tropical fish, as well as improvements to gameplay mechanics.
See below for other new features and firsts introduced in this update.
- A new weapon called the Trident, which includes four special enchantments – Loyalty, Impaling, Channeling and Riptide
- Procedurally generated tropical fish
- Variations of size for some adult mobs (salmon & squid)
- Nine ocean biomes
- New water physics and the ability for some blocks and water to exist within the same place (water-logged blocks)
- Realms are now available on Nintendo Switch
- The Drowned – These dangerous, underwater zombies lurk in dark, deep water and will come up to the shore at night
- Sea Turtles – These gentle creatures can be found swimming in oceans and tanning on beaches. Protect their eggs so more can hatch!
- Turtle Shell and Scute items
- Potion of the Turtle Master
- Nautilus Shells – Can be found while fishing or held by the Drowned
- Conduits can now be constructed underwater and give players the Conduit Power effect. Craft them with Nautilus Shells & Heart of the Sea
- Bubble Columns – Magma Blocks create downward flowing columns and Soul Sand creates upward flowing bubbles
- New Achievements!
- Added new commands that only affect worlds with Education Edition enabled: 1. /ability – Sets a player’s ability 2. /immutableworld – Sets the immutable state of the world 3. /worldbuilder – Toggle World Builder status of caller
Phase one of the Update Aquatic was originally introduced back in May of 2018. At the time, this update introduced coral, kelp, and new fish species to Minecraft’s oceans for the first time. Phase Two builds on this, and literally opens up new possibilities for building a better world.
Further reading: Microsoft, Minecraft, Minecraft Aquatic Update, Mojang