Minecraft has sold over 100 million copies, averages 40 million players per month
With Minecraft Battle headed to consoles for free later this month, and a new Story Mode episode coming later this week, Microsoft and Mojang are finding new ways to celebrate the over 106,859,714 copies of Minecraft sold to date. According to a Mojang press release, there is a new infographic showing just how far Minecraft has come in the last two years.
Here is a list of some highlights:
- There have been over 100 million copies sold to-date – 106,859,714 to be exact! If each person that bought a copy formed a nation, it would be the 12th most populous in the world, behind Russia, Japan and Mexico.
- More people are playing now than ever before – every month there are an average of 40+ million unique players across all platforms.
- Since the beginning of 2016, Minecraft has averaged over 53,000 copies sold every day. That works out to around four copies sold in the time it took you to read that last sentence.
- Players come from every country and territory on the planet. There have even been four copies sold to folks in Antarctica.
- People of all ages and genders enjoy Minecraft across 14 different platforms. The average age is 29 years old and nearly 40% of our players are female.
With several Minecraft versions spanning Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and other platforms, Minecraft continues to sell more copies; averaging about 53,000 copies per day. Of those sales, Minecraft Pocket Edition/Windows 10 versions go toe-to-toe with Minecraft console sales; while the PC/Java editions fall short in comparison.Further reading: Microsoft, Minecraft, Mojang, Windows 10, Xbox 360, Xbox One