Microsoft has announced today the release of the December 2016 edition of its evaluation and licensed Windows 10 developer virtual machines (VM). Both versions are now available to download on the Windows Dev Center for Hyper-V, Parallels Desktop, VirtualBox and VMWare.
If you want to test the free version, be aware that the included Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation version 1607 will be free to use through April 8, 2017. To use the licensed version with Windows 10 Pro version 1607, remember that you’ll need to purchase a $199 Windows 10 Pro license if you haven't done it already.
Both versions also include the following tools:
- Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 3 (Build 14.0.25425.01)
- Windows developer SDK and tools (Build 14393)
- Microsoft Azure SDK for .NET (Build 2.9.6)
- Windows Bridge for iOS (0.2.161107)
- Windows UWP samples (November 2016 Update)
- Windows Bridge for iOS samples
- Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
Virtual machines are perfect for trying out Windows 10 and start developing UWP apps in an optimized environment. Lastly, don't hesitate to share your feedback about these VMs on the dedicated Windows Developer Feedback UserVoice site.