Back in December of 2011, Microsoft revealed its Socl social-search project, which aimed to be a hybrid between social networking and search. A year later, Microsoft opened up the site and allowed anyone and everyone to sign up and use the social project. Now, Microsoft will be updating the site with a new feature set as part of 'Spring 2013 Collection.'
So what are the new features?
Simplified site navigation, including:
- create a post button
- discover (full site search and discovery)
- pinned menu for quick access to notifications, messages, setting, parties and about
- centered Socl logo to refresh the page
- single click access to your profile
- feed pivots between following and everyone
Collections and Interests merged into one concept:
- collections curated by everyone (formerly Interests)
- collections curated by individuals, including private collections
- collection descriptions
- tags now done at the collection level rather than the post level and applied only by collection followers
Better post creation, featuring:
- drag and drop
- share to other social networks
Other features include personal opportunity cards to help build your following feed, private messages, inline editing of profile information, enhanced discovery/search and presentation of related content, and enhanced first-time user experience. Microsoft has created these new features based on feedback from the community. Head over to so.cl to try it out!