Microsoft Screen Sharing was unveiled by the devices and services giant back in 2014 as a device that works with a wide variety of Windows Phone and tablet devices to share your screen via Miracast. Now, Lenovo has unveiled the Lenovo Cast, a new device (similar in design) that allows you to share your phone or tablet’s display to the big screen via DLNA or Miracast.
As the first streaming media device from Lenovo, the Lenovo Cast allows you to share your favorite content by streaming it wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to a big screen TV. All you have to do is plug the device to your TV’s HDMI port, link the Lenovo Cast to your device’s signal, and play your media on the big screen.
“Lenovo Cast offers extreme flexibility with its convenient pocket size and simple set up, making it an ideal companion device for smartphones and tablets. Its dual form factors allow users to hook it up either behind the TV or anywhere near it. Unlike other casting devices, Lenovo Cast ensures seamless streaming thanks to its dual frequency WiFi and its ability to transfer content up to 20 meters, even sending the signal through walls. And it’s not limited to just sharing videos. It mirrors any content users have on their smartphones,” Lenovo explains. Here are the key features of the Lenovo Cast:
- Sends on and off line content, such as movies, videos and games, wirelessly from a smartphone or tablet with a transfer distance of up to 20 meters that can penetrate up to two walls
- Delivers superb wireless performance with Wi-Fi dual frequency thanks to true synchronized 2.4G and 5G working modes; high performance antenna also significantly reduces interferences
- Easy set up and use; simply plug in Lenovo Cast into any large-screen display with an HDMI output, link device to corresponding TV signal and play any media off the device
- Sleek and compact size to fit into any pocket or bag at just 70mm in diameter and 15mm in height
- Designed to cast media from devices using Android 4.3 and above; also supports selected Miracast or DLNA-enabled Windows 8.1 or iOS devices
The Lenovo Cast will be available beginning in August worldwide. Pricing starts at $49 USD. Comparatively, the Microsoft Screen Sharing device runs for $59 USD.Further reading: Lenovo, Microsoft, Windows Phone