As part of Patch Tuesday 2014, Microsoft has rolled out several firmware updates for various Surface products. There are firmware updates available for Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro, Surface 2, and Surface RT. Microsoft did not release an update for the Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2.
The Surface Pro 3 received a few updates today, adding improved support for the Surface Power Cover, as well as enhancing overall system stability. Microsoft has also updated the LifeCam Front driver, improving power consumption during video chats, and adding support for Flash camera streaming in Internet Explorer. Microsoft has also improved support for the gigabit Surface Ethernet Adapter. Here is the full change log:
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v220.127.116.11) improved support for Surface Power Cover.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v18.104.22.168) improved support for Surface Power Cover and enhances overall system stability.
- Microsoft LifeCam Front (v5.20.1034.0) significantly improves power consumption during video chat such as Skype, supports Flash camera streaming in Internet Explorer, and improves overall functionality and stability.
- Surface Ethernet Adapter (v8.14.0704.2014) improved support for the gigabit Surface Ethernet Adapter
Microsoft also rolled out a firmware update for the original Surface Pro. This update simply addresses network connection stability and enabled functionality on WiFi networks using a hidden SSID. here is the full change log:
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth (v14.69.24054.176) improves network connection stability and enables functionality on WiFi networks using a hidden SSID.
Surprisingly, Microsoft has also rolled out a firmware update for the original Surface RT. This update simply enhances overall system stability. Here is the full change log:
- Surface RT UEFI (v3.31.500) enhances overall system stability.
Both the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 were left out and did not receive any firmware updates during the August 2014 Patch Tuesday. Head over to Windows Update to snag these updates and let us know if you notice any improvements or if you are still experiencing any issues. Good luck!Further reading: Microsoft, Patch Tuesday, Surface