Following the rollout of the Windows 10 Insider build 15046 for PCs yesterday, Microsoft has released the Windows 10 Creators Update SDK Preview Build 15042 that developers can use with the Windows 10 preview build 15042 or greater. Since the company announced last month that the Creators Update SDK was now feature complete, there are no API changes is this latest Preview SDK build. However, please note that this latest Preview SDK is only supported by Visual Studio 2017.
You can download the new SDK on Microsoft’s Windows Insider website and here is the full changelog :
- No API changes have occurred since build 15021 (https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/02/03/windows-10-sdk-preview-build-15021-released/).
- Windows SDK setup name change: With this release of the Windows SDK the setup executable name changed. If you have scripts designed to install the previous SDK, you will need to update the path to use the new name: WinSDKSetup.exe.
- The Windows SDK will now formally only be supported by Visual Studio 2017 and greater. You can download the Visual Studio 2017 RC here (https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/).
Known Issues Windows SDK
- DX12 Template Throws when running Build 15042: This is a known bug in the Windows SDK installer. If you encounter this issue, you can repair the SDK by simply running the following command from an Administrative command prompt: C:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\bin\10.0.15042.0\x86\DismFoDInstall.cmd
- Unable to deploy to device: If you are unable to deploy your app to a device or emulator, it may be because Windows IPOverUSB did not install correctly. To work around this issue:
1. Open up the ISO
2. Navigate into the WindowsSDK\Installers folder
3. Double click on the file “Windows IP Over USB-x86_en-us.msi”
4. Follow the prompts
- Windows App Certification Kit crashes when launched from Visual Studio: If Visual Studio cannot deploy the app, the Windows App Certification Kit may crash when loading. To work around this issue:
1. Launch the Windows App Certification Kit from the Windows shortcut
2. Provide a pointer directly to the package to run the tests
Additionally, Microsoft also released ISOs for Windows 10 Insider build 15042, which rolled out to the Fast Ring last Friday. You can download the ISO files on this page after selecting the edition you want (Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Home Single Language or Windows 10 Home China). Stay tuned to OnMSFT to get all the news about the upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update.Further reading: build 15042, Windows 10, Windows 10 Creators Update SDK, Windows Insider