The Office 365 team announced ten new features for Microsoft Excel 2016 today. The additions are focused on providing faster and easier data gathering and utilizing Excel for better insights of large amounts of information. The team said in their blog post that a lot of these were popular requests from users for data preparation.
The new features for Excel 2016 include:
- Web Connector—UX support for specifying HTTP Request Headers.
- OData Connector—support for “Select Related Tables” option.
- Oracle Connector—improved Navigator preview performance.
- SAP HANA Connector—enhancements to parameter input UX.
- Query Dependencies view from Query Editor.
- Query Editor ribbon support for scalar values.
- Add custom column based on function invocation.
- Expand & Aggregate columns provide support for “Load More” values.
- Convert table column to a list—new transformation.
- Select as you type in drop-down menus.
Many of the new features can be accessed through the Get & Transform section. Office 365 subscriptions should download automatically. If you're running Excel 2010 or Excel 2013, you'll be able to download the Power Query add-in from the Microsoft Download Center.