Microsoft’s Surface Book remains one of the more innovative 2-in-1 machines on the market, and part of its appeal is likely the attention to detail and engineering prowess applied to its design and manufacture. Certainly, Microsoft feels this way, and their Microsoft Mechanics team put together a video highlighting some of the Surface Book’s more interesting elements from an engineer’s perspective.
Some of the highlights include:
- Display specs, such as 3000 X 2000 resolution with 267PPI and 6 million pixels
- Display quality, including 1700:1 Contrast Ratio and 100% sRGB support with individual color calibration
- Support for Nvidia GPU in keyboard
- Keyboard design highlighting 19mm spacing and 0.2mm dish in keycap design
- Port configuration and camera specs
- Design and function of the muscle wire latching mechanism and safety features
- Battery design optimized to maintain power in clipboard as much as possible using “Save the Top” algorithm
- Pen and inking design innovations
- Dynamic fulcrum hinge design and advantages
The video’s only a little over six-and-a-half minutes long, and it’s worth a quick watching. Check it out, and let us know in the comments if you learn anything new.