Microsoft has released another patch for users running the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, which brings the Windows build to 17763.134. The update fixes a number of issues that were still present in the last patch for this version of Windows 10. Microsoft just re-released Windows 10 2018, which is currently shipping as 17763.107, so if you go and get it today, you’ll still need this patch.
Improvements in this build include optional vulnerability protections for AMD-based computers, fixes the on-screen keyboard popping up turing automated tests, and security improvements in many of Windows 10’s preinstalled features including Microsoft Edge. Here’s the full list.
- Provides protections against an additional subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerability known as Speculative Store Bypass (CVE-2018-3639) for AMD-based computers. These protections aren’t enabled by default. For Windows client (IT pro) guidance, follow the instructions in KB4073119. For Windows Server guidance, follow the instructions in KB4072698. Use these guidance documents to enable mitigations for Speculative Store Bypass (CVE-2018-3639). Additionally, use the mitigations that have already been released for Spectre Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715) and Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754).
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from signing in to a Microsoft account (MSA) as a different user if signing in a second time.
- Addresses an issue that denies file system access to Internet of Things (IoT) Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that require this capability.
- Addresses an issue that causes the on-screen keyboard to appear when running automated tests or when you install a physical keyboard.
- Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Windows Scripting, Internet Explorer, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Media, Windows Kernel, Windows Server, and Windows Wireless Networking.
The patch is available for anyone running the October 2018 Update of Windows 10, which has finally been re-released to the public following its recent pull due to a file deletion issue. Does this release fix some of your issues? You thoughts are welcome below.