Microsoft just announced the release of a new Microsoft Edge Dev channel update, this week coming in at version 95.0.1011.1. According to the company's Twitter page, this update brings "plenty to be excited about." If that peaked your interest, we have you covered, and here's a look at everything that you need to know.
Unlike the last two weeks, there's a bunch of added features in the Dev Channel this week. First off, Microsoft added the ability to hide the Extensions button by right-clicking it on the address bar or in the "…" menu. Microsoft also added a setting on Mac to hide the Picture in Picture overlay controls. You can see below for other added features.
- Enabled by default improvements to Windows Task Manager when running on Windows 11.
- Enabled by default the ability to autofill custom data.
-Added support for natural voices to Read Aloud on Android.
- Enabled the Surf game on Android.
- Management policies (note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not have occurred yet):
-Added policies to set an Internet Explorer Integration Window Open Width Adjustment and Internet Explorer Integration Window Open Height Adjustment, which add extra pixels to the size of popup windows opened from IE mode tabs.
-Added a policy to control if Visual Search is Enabled, which controls reverse image search.
-Added a policy to control Shadow Stack Crash Rollback Behavior, which controls if the hardware-enforced stack protection security feature in certain devices should be enabled following a crash that’s triggered by it.
-Enabled support for the policy from Chromium to control if Browser Legacy Extension Points Blocking is Enabled, which controls if legacy extensions are allowed to load code into the browser’s main process for compatibility with other applications.
-Added support for the No Frame Merging in IE mode tabs.
-Added support for the navigator.share API in PWAs on Mac OS.
As usual, you can expect the usual reliability improvements and changed behaviors too. Upfront, some of these include a fix for the issue where Read Aloud controls sometimes don't work. Also fixed is an issue where Collections might not sort correctly. You can have a look at some of the eother changes below, with the full changelog available at Microsoft.
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed a crash on startup when certain extensions are installed.
- Fixed a crash when switching profiles.
- Fixed a crash when changing languages in Settings.
- Fixed a crash when logging into a website.
- Fixed a crash when using Smart Copy.
- Fixed a crash when using Application Guard.
- Fixed an issue where the button to close a tab sometimes isn’t visible when the Vertical Tabs pane is too narrow.
- Fixed an issue where spellcheck sometimes triggers even when it’s disabled.
- Fixed an issue where Smart Copy copies more than just what’s selected.
- Fixed an issue where debug.log files sometimes mysteriously appear on the device.
Known Issues are the same as in the past. Note that Microsoft is also promoting some Edge extensions, and is providing an update on the new Developer tools and F12 menu in Edge. Happy downloading, Edge Insiders!