Several features will be deprecated in the upcoming Microsoft Edge Beta version 117 to enhance the user experience and simplify complex menus. Edge also launched Microsoft Edge for Business last week. The deprecated features include:
- Math Solver: Assists users in solving mathematical problems.
- Picture Dictionary: Provides visual explanations of words.
- Citations: The Citations tool for generating citations and references.
- Grammar Tools: Aid in checking and improving grammar and writing.
- Kids Mode: Designed to provide a safer and more child-friendly browsing experience.
While specific details regarding the reasoning behind each deprecation have not been provided, Microsoft emphasizes that these changes aim to improve the overall end-user experience and simplify intricate menus. These adjustments are expected to make the browser more streamlined and user-friendly.
The beta version of Microsoft Edge, version 117, is set to be released on September 14, 2023, and will be accessible on Windows 10, 11, macOS, and Linux.
Besides deprecating certain features, Microsoft introduces new capabilities to enhance the browsing experience. These new features include:
- Smart Find: Leverages AI to simplify webpage searches. It suggests related words and corrects misspellings, streamlining the search process. Administrators can manage its availability using the “RelatedMatchesCloudServiceEnabled” policy.
- “E-tree in Wallet”: Grow a digital tree in your Wallet through a virtual seed. When it’s fully grown, Microsoft will plant a real mangrove tree for you. Sign in to Edge with your Microsoft account to access this feature.
Microsoft Edge for Business is introducing enhancements for better automatic switching between personal and work browsing, streamlining the experience for users who use Edge for both purposes.