Microsoft has just announced the release of a new update for Edge Dev Insiders. The latest Dev build, coming in at version 79.0.287.2 introduces media autoplay blocking, a customizable new tab page, and several other improvements.
To try out the media autoplay blocking, users can visit the edge://settings/content/mediaAutoplay flag. In addition, Microsoft is recommending users to test improvements to Tracking Prevention. The Edge Dev browser now lists all blocked trackers and will offer a list of exceptions to customize Tracking Prevention behavior.
The second big feature, the customizable new tab page, comes with four specific elements. One of these is support for the dark theme on the list of pages with new tabs. Secondly, users can also now scroll through a set of Bing's images of the day, as well as enjoy more personalization options in the news feed. Wrapping things up is an ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page if users feel that it is not needed.
Other new features and improvements with this release can be seen below. Due to its length, we invite you to check out the full list here for more information on the other changes.
- Re-added a prompt to enable Windows location settings if a site requests location permissions but OS-level location settings are disabled.
- Enabled changing font size in Reading View.
- Added middle click support to Collections items.
- Added a tooltip to long Collection titles.
- Added error messaging for when another program is preventing Edge from installing an update.
- Added a policy to control the Renderer Code Integrity feature
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac crashes when it checks for updates.
- Fixed an issue where opening certain PDFs causes the tab to crash.
- Fixed an issue where some PDF files don’t load properly.
- Fixed an issue where downloading pages of a PDF that’s being viewed sometimes hangs.
- Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes hang during navigation.
- Fixed an issue where page translation via the built-in translator sometimes fails silently.
- Fixed an issue where opening all Collection items sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where watching certain videos in full screen causes playback to freeze.
- Fixed some issues where enabling sync settings sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where Sync was not working and showed an error next to the profile button on the toolbar.
- Fixed an issue where syncing is stuck in the “Setting up your sync…” state.
- Improved reliability of sync for work or school accounts over unreliable network connections.
- Fixed some sign-in errors that occur when signing into the browser with a work or school account.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where syncing for work or school accounts doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where trying to import data from the same browser multiple times fails on the subsequent attempts.
Improved the performance and results when searching for Edge settings.
- Fixed an issue where importing data from another browser can sometimes cause the tab to crash.
- Fixed an issue where certain settings aren’t imported correctly from the previous version of Edge.
- Fixed an issue where certain audio playback doesn’t work.
Installing these Edge Dev updates is easy. If you don't know how to install the latest updates, you can check out our guide for more information. Also, feel free to check out our hub for Edge Insider news and information.