Late this afternoon, Microsoft announced the release of another Edge Dev update. Coming in at version 88.0.680.1 this week, there's not much that's changed or new, asides from the introduction of an enhanced copy and paste experience on Mac. Here's a look at what you need to know.
Starting first with the added features, Microsoft is bringing support for Caret Mode to PDFs. They've also introduced a warning dialogue when closing a Web capture that's been inked on but not saved. Finally, also new is a management policy to control Startup Boost.
When it comes to the reliability improvements, there's a few this week. Microsoft fixed an issue where the browser might crash on launch. They also fixed crashes when viewing PDFs, printing PDFs. In addition, there's a fix for a crash that might show an error with cookie_exporter.exe. You can have a look below for the other changes in this release.
- Fixed a hang when running the favorites deduplicator.
- Fixed an issue where edge://tracing fails to load.
- Fixed an issue where the Security section in Settings is missing.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page only shows the 30 most recent downloads.
- Fixed an issue where Web Captures are sometimes taken at the wrong page zoom level.
- Fixed an issue when taking a Web Capture where pages with fixed headers or footers aren’t captured properly.
- Fixed an issue where Password Monitor alerts are seen even when the feature is turned off.
- Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes use icons that are too big on the Start menu.
- Fixed an issue where using the Highlighter tool on a PDF sometimes results in more text being highlighted than intended.
- Fixed an issue where the search Sidebar can’t be closed because the close button is missing.
- Fixed an issue where data is sometimes able to be copied from Information Protected files when it shouldn’t be.
- Fixed an issue where text notes sometimes get created unintentionally in a Collection.
Deprecated the ProxyMode, ProxyServer, ProxyPacUrl, and ProxyBypassList management policies since they’re all superseded by the ProxySettings policy.
For known issues, these are the same as always. It includes issues where ad blocking extensions might cause playback errors on YouTube, tabs crashing and showing an error, duplicate favorites, Edge windows becoming black, and wobbling when scrolling. Of course, there is also the issue with multiple audio output devices, too.
Microsoft notes that there is also a specific issue where Edge might not launch. This is due to an old Edge processing running in the background. A fix for this is rolling out in Windows, so be patient.