Microsoft has just announced an update for the Edge Dev channel. Now pushing Edge Dev Insiders up to build 81.0.403.1, there aren’t many new features in this release. Instead, developers are getting some improvements, such as a 3D viewer tool, and the localization of the F12 Dev tools.
Before getting into the new features in this release, we’d like to remind you that Microsoft has started a new discussion around old Edge’s Set tabs aside feature and warning on close. You can learn more about that here. Otherwise, here’s a list of the new features in this release.
- Enabled the 3D viewer tool in the F12 Developer Tools.
- Enabled localization of the F12 Dev tools so they will match the language the rest of the browser is using.
- Enabled the link on the … menu to the Extensions management page in Application Guard windows now that extensions have been enabled.
Other than the above new features, Microsoft has also improved the overall reliability of Edge Dev with this release. Issues with navigating websites, collections, and DRM protected videos not playing in Windows Insider builds or certain devices have all been resolved. This release also changes the following behavior of Edge Dev. A full list of changes is available here.
- Temporarily hid the Global Media Controls button that was inherited from Chromium.
- Improved the white flashes that sometimes occur in Dark Theme when loading internal webpages like Favorites, History, etc.
- Fixed an issue where Spellcheck is sometimes not enabled by default.
- Fixed an issue where editing favorites on the Favorites management page sometimes causes folders to unexpectedly close or open.
- Improved Browser Task Manager’s persistence of column widths.
- Fixed an issue where there were two context menu entries to move a tab to a new window.
As usual, there are also some known issues in this release. The top two issues include the fact that some users might experience that the dialogue to install a website as apps won’t appear. Users of certain security software packages might also see tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Microsoft recommends you uninstall the software to prevent that issue. You can see the list of other known issues here.