Microsoft had today announced its third update for Windows Phone 8, also known as GDR3. This is the first time Microsoft has publicly talked about GDR3, and have announced some of its official features, including when it’ll be coming.
Windows Phone 8 GDR3 is out to “Enable incredible new Windows Phone devices,” as well as improve the platforms maturity. GDR3 will see the introduction of some much needed features which other platforms already have such as Screen Lock and 1080p devices.
Other new features include improved multitasking, improved Bluetooth, improved storage management, and in general improved everything. Other new features include:
- More useful ringtones: With Update 3, you can use custom ringtones for more things—including instant messages, emails, voicemails, and reminders. You can also assign custom ringtones to contacts for text messages, so you’ll know who’s texting you without even looking.
- No more twist and shout: Does your screen keep spinning when you’re trying to read emails in bed? Use the new rotation lock option to keep it fixed in place.
- Better storage management: New storage settings make it easier to free up space on your phone and manage temporary files. A new category view shows what’s taking up space at a glance.
- Easily close apps: Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you’re finished with them.
- Wi-Fi access out of the box: You can now connect to Wi-Fi during phone set up, so you can start conserving cellular data right out of the box.
- Better Bluetooth: The team made a bunch of improvements to improve connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
Windows Phone 8 GDR3 will be rolled out to existing devices “in the coming weeks”, which as we all know could be several months due to carriers testing the update. Microsoft has also announced a Preview Program for its developers, you can access GDR3 right now if you have a registered developer account.Further reading: Microsoft, Windows Phone 8