There are not many good RSS apps available in the Windows Phone Store. There is Nextgen Reader, but it comes with a small price tag. If you don’t want to spend your hard-earned cash on apps, there are some free alternatives available, as well, that can feed your news reading hunger. Magnify Beta is one of them — at first sight. the app reminded me of Flipboard with its interface. It’s free and it just got better with a big new update, bumping it to version 3.0.7, introducing a whole lot of new features and enhancements.
The latest update brings a lot of new features and improvements on board, including a new dark reading theme, users can also fetch full articles in the app for reading, wide tile support, addition of what’s new pages to find out the new set of features introduced in the updates, ability to turn off unread count on live tiles, manual app reset and lots more. Here’s the complete change log of the app:
- New Swivel article reading view.
- Brand new Dark reading theme!
- Added ability to fetch full article for reading.
- App tile is now a wide tile.
- Turning on Live Tiles should cycle images on app and secondary tiles.
- Show Magnify on your phone’s lockscreen (ensure you have turned on “Show unread count on Live Tiles”)
- Added ability to save article image to phone.
- Added ability to hide articles marked as read under Settings.
- Added Help, About and What’s New pages under Settings.
- Added option to show exit app prompt.
- Reduced duration needed to update feeds.
- Unread count for Live Tiles can be turned off again.
- Changed color of hyperlinks to improve legibility in the dark theme.
- Changed background color of unloaded images to better suit the dark theme.
- Added ability to stop auto-scrolling in parallax scrolling by touching any where on the screen.
- Diacritic characters should show up properly now.
- Manual app reset should remove all previously pinned Live Tiles.
- In-app unread count should be updated correctly now.
- Improved image quality in non-parallax scrolling mode.
- Moved parallax scrolling option to Settings page.
If you’re a regular Magnify Beta user, now might be a good time to take a look at the Windows Phone Store for the update.Further reading: Windows Phone