Right on the midweek schedule, Microsoft today released a new Edge Dev build. Coming in at version 86.0.601.1 this week, there are some small bug fixes and tweaks of note. Here's a look at what you need to know.
First, there are the added features. There is not much this week, and the new features are mainly under the hood. Here, Microsoft added support to Kiosk mode for an automatic browser restart when its idle. They also enabled support for the Storage Access API, which was previously under a controlled rollout. Finally, also added is a feature from Chromium that forces websites to specify the SameSite=None attribute in order to use third-party cookies. You can read more about that here.
As for reliability and changed behaviors, there’s a couple of things this week. First off, Microsoft fixed an issue on Mac where browser sign-in or sync sometimes fails. They also fixed a crash when submitting feedback or when printing. Other fixes cover the issue where webpages can’t be translated, where data can’t be imported from Firefox, and where scrolling doesn’t work when viewing PDFs. We pulled the remainder changed behaviors and reliability fixes for you below.
- Fixed an issue where opening Settings in a Guest window crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the smooth-scrolling flag went missing.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen, even when Edge isn’t the active window.
- Fixed an issue where changing a profile picture for profiles that aren’t signed in doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode sometimes results in the Shy UI not working.
- Fixed an issue where pasting Information Protected content into a PDF sometimes doesn’t work as expected.
- Deprecated the User Agent Client Hints Enabled management policy.
- Obsoleted the TLS 1.3 Hardening For Local Anchors Enabled management policy.
Finally, we end with the known issues. If you’re using the MacOS Big Sur Beta, you might have issues where Edge might not launch or might crash. Microsoft has found the cause for the issue and is working to fix it before Big Sur is released. The other issues from last week with unintended scrolling behaviors, ad blocking extensions, Kaspersky Internet Suite, still persist.
We hope Microsoft will address these issues soon. Happy downloading, and let us know how this Edge Dev build works for you by dropping us a comment below.