The last major update to Edge before the holidays has just been released to the Dev channel. Coming in at version 89.0.731.0, there’s not much that’s new this week, and Microsoft promises that some smaller patches could still be released, too. Here’s a look at what you need to know.
First off, there are the new features. Microsoft added an indicator to show when a tab has been muted because the underlying system audio has been muted. They also added an option to Settings to disable downloading Edge updates over metered connections. In addition, you should now see a setting to disable the F12 entry point to the Dev Tools and new support for forcing popup windows into new tabs instead of in Kiosk mode.
As for the reliability improvements, fixes, and changed behaviors, there’s a couple to note this week. Importantly, fixed is an issue where Edge can’t open. Also fixed is an issue where Edge doesn’t shut down properly or install updates if certain extensions are installed. Some of the other important fixes and changed behaviors are below. You can see the full list at Microsoft.
- Fixed an issue where searching from the new tab page sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when downloading files.
- Fixed a crash on Mac when checking for updates.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where closing a popup menu sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where playing Dolby Vision media on Netflix sometimes crashes with error D7361-1253.
- Fixed an issue where opening a page in Immersive Reader sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where the Pinning Wizard doesn’t open.
- Added a delay to the Shy UI between when the mouse leaves it and when it disappears.
- Fixed an issue where items can’t be added to Collections when using Immersive Reader.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab sometimes causes a gap between the rest of the tabs and the new tab button.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where Edge sometimes takes over the screen when an update notification is shown.
- Fixed an issue where the option to always translate a page sometimes doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where selecting a password in the autofill flyout sometimes puts the wrong password in the field when multiple passwords are available.
ic Data and to Allow Telemetry, as well as to Force the Legacy Default Referrer Policy.
Do note that despite this being the last major Edge release before the holidays, there are still a lot of known issues. These are the same as the past releases, with no new ones to note. We hope Microsoft can fix these in the new year.
We’d also like to remind you that Microsoft is working on supporting Apple’s M1 Macs natively in Edge Canary later this week. The news comes after Microsoft announced today that its Microsoft 365 apps now work natively on M1 Macs, too.