Microsoft is rolling out the Windows 10 Anniversary Update today, which should come as no surprise to anyone by now. We’ve seen the Xbox One get its own version of the update, and, of course, Windows 10 PCs are next in line. While Windows 10 Mobile users will have to wait a little while for the Anniversary Update, Microsoft has announced that lucky HoloLens owners can also grab the update starting today.
According to the Windows Devices blog:
In May, we announced the first major software update to Windows Holographic, and today, I’m excited to share our second major update: the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This is our fastest and most reliable version yet. Some exciting changes are on tap with this release, as well as some new policies making it easier than ever for more developers to create the future of holographic computing.
Also, Microsoft is announcing that all developers and business customers in the U.S. and Canada can now get their hands on a HoloLens Development Edition:
We’ve fulfilled the orders for our first waves of developers, and today I’m pleased to announce that we’re expanding the program, making HoloLens Development Edition available to all developers and business customers in the United States and Canada. Developers looking to join our holographic journey can go to hololens.com and purchase up to five devices. No application required!
Finally, the HoloLens team is also announcing the HoloLens Commercial Suite to enable companies to roll out HoloLens throughout their enterprises:
Some of the Microsoft HoloLens Commercial Suite features include:
- Kiosk mode. With HoloLens kiosk mode, you can limit which apps to run to enable demo or showcase experiences.
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) for HoloLens. Your IT department can manage multiple HoloLens devices simultaneously using solutions like Microsoft InTune. You will be able to manage settings, select apps to install and set security configurations tailored to your organization’s need.
- Identity. Azure Active Directory & next generation credentials with pin unlock.
Windows Update for Business. Controlled operating system updates to devices and support for long term servicing branch.
- Data security. BitLocker data encryption and secure boot is enabled on HoloLens to provide the same level of security protection as any other Windows device.
- Work access. Anyone in your organization can remotely connect to the corporate network through a virtual private network on a HoloLens. HoloLens can also access Wi-Fi networks that require credentials.
- Windows Store for Business. Your IT department can also set up an enterprise private store, containing only your company’s apps for your specific HoloLens usage. Securely distribute your enterprise software to selected group of enterprise users.
Check out this video for more info on the HoloLens Commercial Suite:
And so, there you have it, HoloLens fans. Microsoft isn’t leaving its innovative augmented reality solution out of the fun, and let us know in the comments if you’re excited about where HoloLens is headed. Make sure to review this documentation as well to remain completely update-to-date on everything that’s new with HoloLens.