Obsidian has announced that their game “Grounded” will be getting a major new addition: shared worlds.
What are shared worlds? To quote the developer forum, “Shared Worlds are stored in the cloud and you can share them with any of your friends so they can host that world while you are not online.”
- Users can own up to three shared worlds at a time.
- Users can have 50 worlds shared with them at a time.
- Any standard world can be converted to a shared world through the save/load menu.
- Also, shared worlds can be copied to play as a standard world.
- Only one person can host a shared world at a time.
Shared worlds are useful in that players can use them to share game saves with friends. And if you happen to own both a Steam copy and Xbox or Windows copy, you can use shared worlds to play the same game save across platforms. And there are other use cases for shared worlds as well.
Note that the shared worlds feature is currently in beta testing right now, and there are still bugs to be fixed before it gets a full public release. Grounded is available on Xbox Game Pass in Game Preview form, and will see a full release on September 27.