The Facebook Messenger app has been given a significant update on Windows 10 Mobile devices, adding features that had been used in the Facebook Messenger Windows 10 PC app and the Facebook Messenger Beta Windows 10 Mobile app, which is used to trial new features before rolling them out to the general population.
Updating the Facebook Messenger app on a Windows 10 Mobile device will completely uninstall the current version and replace it with the new app in the background. This will leave a dead tile on the Start Screen (which will need to be deleted as it no longer works) and users can then pin the recently installed Facebook Messenger app to the Start Screen from the full app list.
Probably the new feature most users will be excited about will be the addition of animated gifs to conversations. Other new changes include the ability to customize usernames, a revamped layout, and more options made available when clicking on another user’s avatar. The updated app appears to ignore the device’s accent color settings for now and, due to it being a complete reinstallation of the app, all notification and sound settings will need to be reconfigured.
Here’s the complete official feature list:
- Get notifications so you never miss a message
- See when you have messages waiting for you with a live tile
- Send photos, videos, GIFs and more
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers
- Know when people have seen your messages
- Create groups for the people you message most—name them and set group photos
- Forward messages or photos to people who weren’t in the conversation
- Search for people and groups to quickly get back to them
Are you using the new Facebook Messenger app yet? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments below. Is it an improvement?
Thanks to Hari for the heads up!