There are many of us who love the idea of creating our own game, but how many of us have the time or energy to sit down and learn the necessary programing languages? Kodu is a game creation tool that, as it is aimed at children, helps to make the entire process as simple as possible. Rather than requiring reams of code to be written, games are instead creation in a visual environment that is instantly appealing.
Kodu itself is not new, but a new version has just been released for Windows 8.1. Published through Microsoft Studios, the app is available completely free of charge and the description points out that "no design or programming skills" are needed.
It's not only the fact that the software is free that will act as a draw. The app is compatible with x86, x64 and ARM systems, meaning that it can be used on standard desktops and laptops as well as RT devices.
While there is a strong emphasis that this is an app designed with children in mind, it is likely to be used by a wider audience. Unlike many games creation tools, this is one that is instantly accessible and results can be achieved fairly quickly.
Here is the App Store description in full:
- Kodu is a rich tool for narrative creation and storytelling
- Kodu demonstrates that programming is a creative medium
- Kodu helps children with critical thinking, breaking a complex goal into manageable steps, and iterate on the design process
- Kodu introduces the logic and problem solving of programming
- Kodu introduces conditions and sequences, which teaches cause and effect
- Kodu can be taught by any teacher, no previous programming expertise required
- Students learn about cooperation, logic and creativity in addition to programming
Try it out for yourself and let us know what you think!