Microsoft has announced that the first version 84 of Microsoft Edge has just gone live in the Dev Channel. This update bumps the build number up to 84.0.488.1, though it doesn't really come with a lot of new features Here's a quick look at what you need to know about it.
As always, we'll be starting first with the new features. Here, there are some tweaks to the user interface for browsing in fullscreen mode. There are also some changes for management policies, and some new messaging when dealing with PDFs. Have a look at the full changelog below:
- Added a dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen mode to be able to access tabs and the address bar without exiting fullscreen (unofficially referred to as Shy UI).
- Added a management policy to prevent the creation of a desktop shortcut when Edge is installed.
- Added messaging to inform users when the internal PDF reader is disabled via the “Always Open PDF Externally” management policy
Next, there are some reliability changes. On this front, there are some changes for video protection, dragging tabs, IE mode, and more. There are some changed behaviors too, such as with browser sign in, and collections. We've included some below, and remind you to check the full list here:
- Fixed an issue where protected video on certain websites doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate window on Mac crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where cancelling an autofill payment card authentication sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode website to a non-IE mode website in the same tab sometimes crashes the browser.
- Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes results in images that don’t load.
- Fixed an issue where some Collections UI isn’t visible when the browser is using zoom levels > 100%.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touch Bar media scrubber sometimes doesn’t appear on pages that have media.
- Fixed an issue where the Favorites bar or find on page popup sometimes aren’t visible in the Shy UI.
Finally, for the known issues. Duplicate favorites, Edge windows becoming all black, "wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures are all still present in this release. There is also the continued problem where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.
On the road ahead, Microsoft is looking for some feedback when it comes to themes in the InPrivate windows. Check it out here, and let Microsoft know your thoughts.