As on schedule, late this afternoon Microsoft announced the release of the newest Edge Dev build. This time coming in at build 84.0.522.5, the company says this release is expected to be the final for version 84 of the browser. With a few small patches still coming later, it also will move to Beta soon, as well. There's not really anything new to play with once more, but here's a look at what you need to know.
First, there are the added features. Here, Microsoft has added support for Read Aloud in PDFs. They've also added support for full-page translation in Immersive Reader. Other new features include the ability for text saved to a Collection to take you back to the location on the webpage it came from. Have a look below for everything else that's new:
- Added support for Read Aloud in PDFs.
- Added support for full page translation in Immersive Reader.
- Added the ability for text saved to a Collection to take you back to the location on the webpage it came from.
- Added back support for the Chromium “Force Dark Mode for Web Contents” flag.
- Enabled Shy UI on Mac.
- Added support for the F6 key to change focus on Mac.
Next up are the reliability and changed behaviors, and are many things to note here. On the reliability front, you'll see that Microsoft has fixed the issue where certain types of videos like HEVC don’t play properly. They've also fixed the issue where webpages with videos might sometimes hang. See below for some of the changes behaviors, and check the full list at Microsoft here:
- Fixed an issue where attempting to save an edited PDF brings up the “Save As” dialog every time it’s saved instead of silently saving.
- Fixed an issue where the Find on Page popup sometimes gets stuck and can’t be interacted with.
- Fixed an issue where history entries in the Jumplist sometimes aren’t cleared after closing the browser when history is set to be cleared on close.
- Fixed an issue where favorites on the Favorites Bar sometimes forget that they’re supposed to be icon only.
- Fixed an issue where extensions that allow keyboard shortcuts to be set aren’t able to have those shortcuts be changed on edge://extensions/shortcuts.
- Fixed an issue where autofill popups sometimes appear when they shouldn’t with incorrect suggestions.
Microsoft still hasn't fixed the known issues which have persisted in the past: Tabs might still seem too small, users of Kaspersky Internet Suite might still have issues, and some users are seeing favorites get duplicated. You also might still experience all Edge windows become black, or the wobbling behavior when scrolling, as well as problems with no sound if you use multiple audio outputs.
Outside of today's Edge Dev release, there's still some other news if you're using other versions of the new Edge browser. The new Surf game is now available on the stable channel , and there are some improvements coming for spell check in Microsoft Edge.