Here are some quick tips for tightening up security on your iPad:
– Use WPA2 on any networks you control, office and home.
– Use a VPN while on any public Wi-Fi network.
– If you don't have access to a corporate VPN, get an account on a public provider like WiTopia or Strong VPN.
- Configure a passcode and set a short lock interval of 15 minutes or less. The basic level, four-digit PIN is OK, but the "enhanced" alphanumeric password is better.
- Configure local wipe after 10 invalid passcode attempts.
- If you're forgetful, store a copy of your passcode on another system, because without it, you'll have to restore the iPad from your last iTunes backup.
- Set up the "Find my iPad" feature (requires a MobileMe account), which not only can locate the device but also remotely lock or wipe it.
Taking a few minutes to lock down your iPad configuration, along with practicing some basic mobile networking hygiene, could save you hours of grief. If you have any other helpful tips or suggestions, post them here!