Another Azure product reaches general availability this week and this time customers will get SLA offering 99.9% availability.
According to the Microsoft Azure blog, the company has just announced at its Connect () 2016 event in New York that Azure Application Insights is now generally available. Not only is Azure Application Insights available to the general public but Microsoft has also released pricing structure.
Visual Studio Application Insight users might be familiar with Microsoft's new offer as it appears to be a simple re-branding of the product to Azure Application Insights, but new customers may enjoy the following:
The main areas of Application Insights are:
- Intelligent APM: Proactively monitor and improve the performance of the application you’re developing with advanced tools. Visual application maps pinpoint performance issues. Smart detection based on machine learning sends you alerts with embedded diagnostics. With Live Metrics Stream you can monitor your application health metrics in real time, while you’re deploying a change.
- Analytics: With its rich query language, Analytics gives you answers to complex questions about your application’s performance and usage, almost instantly. Ask creative questions about the performance and behavior of your apps in flexible ways with interactive queries, and refine them until you pin-point the problem that impedes a desired business outcome. Once you derive an insight from the ad-hoc queries, you can share them in the form of visuals across your organization in customizable dashboards or through integration with Power BI.
- DevOps Integration &Extensibility: Tightly integrated into the Visual Studio product family. Read performance data right there in the code of your app in Visual Studio IDE. Integrations with Visual Studio Team Services, Team Foundation Server, and GitHub enable you to find and fix quality issues early in your DevOps workflows. Integrations with System Center and Operations Management Suite enable you to share application performance and system performance metrics across team boundaries and shorten the time to find root causes of issues.
As part of being generally available, we have introduced a new pricing structure. You can still start for free with Application Insights, and there is no limitation on the APM and Analytics tools – you get the full feature set without cost. You only pay as your app grows and as you transmit more application telemetry to Application Insights, but you control how much you pay!
In addition, we are announcing these new features and enhancements to Application Insights, that we are proud to share these with you today.
- Increased raw data retention to 90 days for Analytics Queries
- European data center option for storing Application Insights data
- Improvements in Application Performance Management:
- Smart detection of degradation in request performance
- Correlating Availability Monitoring results with server side telemetry which will let you diagnose failures of your synthetic tests
- Failure Samples in Live Metrics Stream which will let you get insight into details of failed requests, dependency calls and exceptions in real time
- Grid control in Azure Dashboards and additional charting options in Metric options such as percentage charts
- Enhancements to the Codelens and Application Search capabilities inside Visual Studio provide more information in context to identify and fix issues sooner
- Preview of Application Insights REST APIs to access all your queries, events, and metrics data
The Azure team promises to continuously add new features in the coming days and for current customers, the team encourages feedback at Application Insights User Voice.