XCOM 2 and EVERSPACE are both now available to buy, download, and play on Microsoft’s Xbox One video game console. XCOM 2 is the latest game in the long-running XCOM video game franchise which began way back in 1994. The entire series was rebooted in 2012 however with the release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown on the Xbox 360. There were several add-on expansions to Enemy Unknown but XCOM 2 is the first proper stand-alone sequel. The game features a mix of strategy, action, and story and is based around a human resistance determined to overthrow the alien race that has taken over Earth. Here’s the official game description:
- XCOM ON THE RUN: Take command of the Avenger, an alien supply craft converted to XCOM’s mobile headquarters. New open-ended gameplay lets you decide where to guide your strike team, how to grow popular support, and when to combat enemy counter-operations.
- RECRUIT RESISTANCE FIGHTERS: Five soldier classes, each with its own skill tree, let you create specific soldiers for your tactical plan.
- TACTICAL GUERRILLA COMBAT: New gameplay systems offer more tactical flexibility in combat. Use concealment to ambush enemy patrols. Loot enemies for precious gear and artifacts. Rescue VIPs and save fallen comrades by carrying them to the extraction point.
- A NEW BREED OF ENEMY: A diverse cast of enemies from powerful new alien species to the ADVENT, enforcers of the alien regime, offer a distinct tactical challenge.
- RESEARCH, DEVELOP AND UPGRADE: Configure and build rooms on the Avenger to give XCOM new capabilities on the battlefield. Use your Scientists and Engineers to research, develop and upgrade weapons and armor to fit your preferred tactics.
- EACH MISSION IS A UNIQUE CHALLENGE: Go on missions around the world, from wildlands to the heart of the alien-controlled megacities, to the depths of alien installations. There are virtually infinite combinations of maps, missions and goals.
- ENGAGE IN HEAD-TO-HEAD MULTIPLAYER: Mix-and-match squads of humans and aliens and battle head-to-head on randomly-generated maps.
EVERSPACE on the other hand is a space-shooter and features pure action gameplay as the user is tasked with piloting a futuristic space craft through enemy-filled levels. Here’s the official description:
EVERSPACE is an action-focused single-player space shooter combining roguelike elements with top-notch visuals and a captivating non-linear story. It takes you on a challenging journey through an ever-changing, yet beautifully crafted universe full of surprises. Your skills, experience and talent for improvisation will be tested continuously while learning about your own existence through encounters with interesting characters, each having their own part of the puzzle to tell. Each run will be exciting as you will have to face completely new situations keeping each part of the game long-lasting and generating lots of individual, meaningful moments to experience. However, no matter how skilled a pilot you are, death is inevitable, but only the beginning of a much larger journey.
Do you enjoy playing Science Fiction video games on your Xbox One? Let us know which titles you would recommend in the comments below.Further reading: Microsoft, Video Games, Xbox, Xbox One