It's not often that a trailer for a game looks new and exciting, but... This trailer strikes us as pretty new and exciting. The latest announcement for Xbox One and PC goes by the name "Ooblets," and it seems like the sort of game that would feel right at home on a Nintendo console. The developers refer to the game as "Harvest Moon meets Pokémon meets Animal Crossing," and that should give you a pretty definitive idea about whether or not you'll be interested.
Here are the game's features, as listed on the website:
- Live a simple life working the land (and battling magical creatures)
- You get a little house you can decorate and expand
- Play at your own pace. Leave the stresses of city living behind you
- Take part in a bustling little town full of characters
- Open world exploring
- Visit a variety of regions (one will be under water I think!)
- Automate production with things like sprinklers
- Run a shop!
- Upgrade your dudes because I guess they’re not good enough for you
- Maybe you will get to name your dudes too?
- Join an Ooblet club. Feel wanted and appreciated. Distrust other clubs’ members.
If you're an Xbox One owner who's been looking for a dash of color and charm to just make you smile, Ooblets looks promising. In a gaming era that's more or less dominated by serious titles, this has the potential to be a welcome change of pace for the right kind of audience.