The original game came out on the Xbox 360 console back in 2007 and has also been playable on the Xbox One due to added backwards compatibility support since 2017. A new version of Halo 3, with improved graphics, launched on the Xbox One in 2014 as part of the console release of the Halo Master Chief Collection. This PC release is the same version as the Halo Master Chief Collection console version and can support 4K resolution and 60+ frames per second depending on the power of the computer playing the game.
This PC release of Halo 3, and all of the Halo Master Chief Collection titles, are also available to play for free for all Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers.
Halo 3 was one of the biggest video game releases on the Xbox 360 during its year of release and has continued to be a favorite with fans of the franchise. Here’s the official game description and feature list:
Halo 3 comes to PC as the next installment in Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Now optimized for PC, witness the Master Chief’s return to finish the fight between the Covenant, the Flood, and the entire Human race in this dramatic, pulse-pounding conclusion of the original Halo trilogy. With the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance, the Master Chief returns to uncover an ancient secret hidden beneath the sands of Africa, which could hold the key to humanity’s salvation or destruction – an object that could change the tide of the Human-Covenant conflict.
- PC Settings/Optimizations: Halo 3 is now optimized for PC and looking better than ever at up to 4k UHD and at 60+ FPS.* Other PC native settings include customizable mouse and keyboard support, ultrawide support, FOV customization, and more.
- Campaign: Experience the next chapter in the Halo saga and fight your way through 11 unforgettable missions.
- Multiplayer: Continue your Halo adventure with 24 multiplayer maps from the iconic Halo 3, featuring a completely updated progression system in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- Forge & Theater: Create new ways to play with the iconic Forge tool and utilize the Theater to capture and share your favorite moments with the community
To coincide with the addition of Halo 3 on PC, an update has rolled out to both the PC and Xbox One versions of Halo The Master Chief Collection with a variety of new features and improvements.
Most notable among the changes are the addition of the Forge mode to Halo: Reach, Halo 2: Anniversary, and Halo 3 on PC and a number of improvements to Forge across the board. Here’s the full list of new features:
- (PC) Forge is now available for Halo: Reach, Halo 2: Anniversary, and Halo 3.
- Halo 3 Forge has been updated with new features, including Object Physics, rotation, coordinate snap and precision edit tools.
- Halo 3 and Halo: Reach Forge pallets have been expanded with new objects and budget increases.
- Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 2: Anniversary Forge tools have been updated with a new “Toggle Rotation Axes” feature adding toggleable rotation around World and Local axes. Note: This is planned to be added into Halo 4 at a later date.
- Updated season unlock flow to feature non-linear unlocks per page and added Season 2 featuring 30 new nameplates, 46 new H1 Weapon and 18 H1 Vehicle skins.
- Challenges are now available to complete across all available titles. Note: Campaign Challenges are currently not supported in Halo 4: Spartan Ops.
- New spartan customization 3D model viewer for Halo 3.
- Updated Skill Rank backend for Ranked Matchmaking. This resolved a long-standing rank reset issue and has required us reset all ranked playlists to 1.
- “Highest Lifetime” rank is now displayed for rotational hoppers that are no longer available.
- Halo: Reach & Halo 3 audio has been updated.
- New Acrophobia skull for Halo 3.
- “Dual Wield Inversion” has been added as a toggle for players who wish to disable the title from switching the “primary fire” weapon to your left-hand while dual wielding in Halo 2 or Halo 3.
A number of fixes have also been made with this latest update. You can read the rather long patch notes here.
[appbox microsoftstore 9NTM9HXNLSZX]
[appbox microsoftstore 9pgl2z1h9m4r]