So you want to hide your email address from the Windows login screen? If you work in cafes or similar public places, it is, in fact, an excellent idea if you want to keep yourself protected peeping possible hackers.
Let’s look at the best ways to remove your personal information, in this case, your email address, from the login screen for good.
1. How to hide your email address from the Windows login screen with Settings app
The Windows Settings app is your recourse to fix almost all kinds of problems, big and small, on your PC. For example, you can also use it to remove your email address on Windows PC.
- Head to the Start menu search bar, type in ‘settings’, and select the best match.
- Now, move to Accounts > Sign-in options.
- Under the Additional Settings option, toggle off the Show account details such as my email address on the sign-in screen switch.
That’s it; your email address details will be removed from the login screen from here on.
2. Registry Editor
While the above method is straightforward and the most recommended one, like everything in tech, it can sometimes fail. If that happens to you, you still need a way to hide the email address.
This is where the Registry editor can help.
The second way to hide your email address is by editing the Registry Editor. Note that before you jump in to edit the registry, we highly recommend you first create a backup for your registry. This is because even a slight error in your registry can wreck the working of your operating system.
Now that you’ve backed up your registry follow the steps below to hide your email address using the Registry editor:
- Head to the Start menu search bar, type in ‘run’ and select the best match.
- There, type in ‘regedit’, and hit Enter.
- Now head to following address:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > System
- Right-click on System key and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Now rename the DWORD to BlockUserFromShowingAccountDetailsOnSignin.
- Double-click the newly created DWORD and set the Value data field to 1. Finally, click on OK.
Your registry will be edited, and the email address will be hidden from the login screen moving on. From here, you’ve to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Hiding your email address from the login screen on Windows PC
Leaving your details, such as your email address, on your login screen can be a doorway to getting hacked later on, especially if you work at places other than your home or office. So follow the simple tricks from above and remove your email address from the login screen for good.