Windows 11 made it possible to install Android apps through the Amazon App store. In order to make that work, you require Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA), a compatibility player for the apps to work.
Everything works well but sometimes WSA may stop working due to an error. And as a result your Android apps are not working on Windows 11.
I have found a few ways that can fix WSA not working error without calling in an expert, starting with the easiest and fastest.
Fix WSA Not Working Error
1. Repair/Reset Windows Subsystem Android
The easiest way to fix WSA error would be to reset it from Apps & features in the control panel. This will give Windows Subsystem a fresh start and you can launch it like it as a freshly installed app.
1. Go to Start Menu search and search for Windows Subsystem for Android.
2. Right-click on Windows Subsystem for Android and go to App settings of the app.
3. Scroll down to Reset and Click Repair and see if it has fixed the WSA not working error. If the issue persists then click Reset, which will delete the app data so be cautioned about that.
Repair will make Windows attempt to fix the issues with WSA. Reset will wipe the slate clean for the app and you can launch it as a freshly installed app.
2. Update Microsoft Store
Microsoft keeps on pushing new updates to Windows 11. It is important to install latest updates for using the OS with minimal problems. Sometimes you might have postponed the update for Microsoft Store. In that in case it is plausible that certain apps like WSA can malfunction. Here is how you can update Microsoft Store and possible fix the WSA error.
1. Launch Microsoft Store and head to the library from the left menu bar.
2. Click Get Update and wait for Microsoft store along with other apps to be updated.
3. It can take anywhere between 2 to 10 minutes, depending upon your internet speed.
4. Restart your computer after this and this could fix the WSA not working error.
3. Turn off Anti-virus (optional)
Microsoft has tightened the security against viruses and threats since Windows 10 with the Windows Security but many users still prefer installing a third-party anti-viruses. If you are one of them then the Windows Subsystem for Android error can because of the anti-virus interfering with the function.
We installed Avast on Windows 11 to demonstrate the way to disable it. Here is how you can do it.
1. Find the anti-viruses’ icon in the taskbar
2. Right-click on it and go to Avast Shield Control > Disable permanently.
The anti-virus protection will be disabled until you turn back on. Now you can restart the computer and check if the WSA component is fixed. If so, you may want to check your anti-virus settings to allow WSA to work.
4. Disable Battery Saver (for Laptops)
Laptop users need to pay attention here. The battery saver is a neat feature on Windows that lets the computer run for a longer period. And when the battery saver is enabled in Windows, only the essential programs run in the background while others are restricted to save battery.
This can result in Windows Subsystem for Android not working properly. We can fix it by disabling battery saver in the following manner.
1. Head to the taskbar and click on the battery icon.
2. The battery saver button is grey when disabled. If it is turned on then it will be bright in color matching with the theme. Click on it to turn it off.
If your laptop is having low battery the consider plugging in the charger. Then restart the computer and confirm if the WSA error is fixed.
5. Uninstall VPN application
Some users in online forums have reported that the VPN application can interfere with the Windows Subsystem for Android. There is no official explanation from Microsoft but we can uninstall it to see if that is causing the WSA not working error.
Meanwhile you can temporarily shift to browser add-ons for VPNs which can help you browse with anonymity and privacy.
6. Reinstall Amazon Appstore
Amazon Appstore could be corrupted and thus causing the WSA installation issue. This corruption can be caused by a third-party anti-virus quarantining dependencies for Windows Subsystem for Android.
In such scenario we have to uninstall Amazon Appstore and then install it again. This should fix the WSA error and you can use Android apps again on the computer. Here is how you can uninstall Amazon app store and then install it again.
1.Go to Start Menu search and search for Amazon Appstore.
2. Right-click and click Uninstall from the menu to uninstall the app store.
3. Confirm uninstall by clicking Uninstall button in the prompt.
4. Now head to the Microsoft store and install the Amazon app store again.
Restart your computer after installing Amazon app store and check if the issue has been fixed. If the problem persists then move to the next step.
7. Update Windows
Certain Window updates can resolve a lot of issues arising on the operating system. You should install the latest Windows updates in the following manner.
1. Press Window + I to open the settings menu and then head to Windows update.
2. Download and install all the pending updates. Your computer will be restarted a couple of times before all the updates are applied.
Fixing WSA Not Working Error
These were the best methods to fix WSA not working error. If none of them work then you should head to the Microsoft forum to seek solution for individual issue with the Windows Subsytem for Android.